Friday, August 2, 2013

Australia, land ho!

When I first moved to Australia in February 2009, I had no idea what I was getting into.  I'd never been here before.  Yes, I moved to a country I had never even visited.  How's that for adventure? Fortunately, it was a great gamble and has turned out really well.

This week I was looking back through some of my posts and pictures and re-read this one: Brisbane, the next great adventure On that post I included some pictures of my trip Down Under. One of them was a photo of the first bit of Australian land that I saw out the window of the plane.  In case you didn't click the link, here it is again:


I've lived in Australia for more than 4 years now and I started wondering what I had seen out the window on my first flight. There were a few distinctive features.  Obviously it was a coast line. There appeared to be some sort of headlands that went down to the water's edge.  You can make out a sandy patch within the forest behind the beach.  If you look really closely you can see some houses.  I also realised that I took this not too long before we landed, so it had to be pretty near to Brisbane. Well, after a little bit of sleuthing I think I've found it.


View Larger Map
And the answer is... Point Lookout, Queensland. This is the northern most tip of Stradbroke Island, in Moreton Bay. The little town is pretty much due East of Brisbane, and it makes perfect sense to have flown over it on the way in. Looks like we flew in, headed a little south of Brisbane and then landed at the airport. I've actually stayed there since flying over it the first time, Christmas holiday 2011. Kinda cool to go back and solve a mini mystery like that.

No comments: